White Cliffs Country
The White Cliffs of Dover have stood for millennia and have long been regarded for their role in the nation’s identity. Both Shakespeare and Wordsworth have written of their beauty and described the cliffs as “A place of savage beauty”.
This area has a legacy of castles, historic monuments and interesting places to visit. Dover Castle is splendidly situated on the cliffs above the sea. The nearby seaside town of Deal is worth a visit and a few miles inland is the Cathedral city of Canterbury.
Dover Castle – Just 4 miles away from The White Cliffs Hotel lies one of the largest castles in the country, strategically located at the shortest crossing point to continental Europe, Dover Castle has played a prominent part in national history. Its origins lie in the Iron Age, and a Roman Lighthouse and Anglo-Saxon church can still be seen within the grounds.
Walmer Castle – Walmer Castle is around 10 minutes drive from The White Cliffs Hotel it was built by Henry VIII in 1539-40 as an artillery fortress to counter the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain. It was one of three forts constructed to defend the Downs, an area of safe anchorage protected by the Goodwin Sands.
Deal Castle – Deal Castle, a little over 5 miles away form The White Cliffs Hotel, was built by Henry VIII in 1539-40 as an artillery fortress to counter the threat of invasion from Catholic France and Spain. It was the largest of three forts constructed to defend the area of safe anchorage known as the Downs.
Leeds Castle – Set in 500 acres of parkland in the midst of the Kent countryside around 40 minutes drive from The White Cliffs Hotel The castle takes it name not from the city of Leeds but from its first owner, a man named Leed, or Ledian, who built himself a wooden castle in 857. The first stone castle was built in 1119 on an island in the lake, and was later rebuilt and extended by Edward I, who added a set of outer walls, a barbican and the ‘gloriette’, a D shaped tower built on the smallest of the two islands in the lake.
Top 10 Things to do during your stay…
1. Visit The White Cliffs National Trust Visitor Centre and walk the coastal paths – more info>>>
2. Spend a day at Dover Castle with it’s amazing Great Tower & New Secret Wartime Tunnels Exhibition – more info>>>
3. Discover St. Margaret’s Bay and walk the Frontline Britain Trail to The South Foreland Lighthouse – more info>>>
4. Relax and indulge yourselves with a day in The Garden of England Spa at Wallett’s Court – more info>>>
5. Take a day trip to Calais on one of P&O’s fabulous new ferries – more info>>>
6. Book a table for dinner at the Michelin Rated Restaurant at nearby Wallett’s Court – more info>>>
7. Take a Pilgrimage to Canterbury with its stunning Cathedral, the shopping is pretty fabulous too! – more info>>>
8. Have a mooch around the bohemian antique and bric-a-brac shops in nearby Deal & Sandwich – more info>>>
9. Get down to Margate for a wander around the newly opened Turner Contemporary Gallery – more info>>>
10. Take a tour of The Garden of England with your own chauffeur and guide – more info>>>
WINTER GATHERINGS - CHRISTMAS PARTIES & MORE...
Fancy a home-from-home Christmas or New Year Party without the hassle? Then why not book one of our Winter Gatherings and celebrate the season with family, friends or even the gang from work for a festive feast...
Start the party with Family Feast Style sharing platters and then enjoy your own seasonal plate of game, fish & veggies followed by a lovely old-fashioned pudding.
There's also our Winter Smörgåsbord menu for a party with a Scandi Vibe from our neighbours across the North Sea...
To drink this winter we're majoring on home-brew ferments, the weird and the wonderful... Expect switchels and berry brews, spicy cocktails and herbal hot cups alongside our selection of locally brewed beers from here, wines from near and far and lovely juicy juices from Kent.
We can cater for parties from 6 to 60 or if there are more of you ask about our exclusive use party nights...
There are also our every day Winter Menus available for breakfast, lunch and dinner too for smaller gatherings anytime.
Here are links to the menus...
TO BOOK A TABLE
CALL 01304 852229
CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR
Come December we're all set and excited for Christmas. The tree and decorations are up, there's a Scandi vibe about the place, the fires are roaring all day long, the smell of wine & spiced-cider mulling on the stove pervades the atmosphere. Winter brews are on the go, cinnamon buns, fruit cake, mince pies and more tempt the taste buds.
Then for the festivities of the holidays...
On Christmas Eve it's across the road for the Christingle Service at five follwed by mulled wine and mince pies around the fire pit or a pint in the bar.
Christmas Day is for the family, so we're all off for the day spending time at home, then on Boxing Day lunch is on the cards... and all systems are go for the period between Christmas and New Year.
On New Year's Eve it's party time with a special five course dinner lined-up and a party atmosphere in the bar.